Choosing a brokerage can be tough… but we’d like to provide you with a few things to think about (and ask) when interviewing brokers! The foundation of your real estate career is very important, so training and development are key. But, I think the biggest thing is finding the right culture — whether that be a team, a mentor, or an office — finding a place where you feel comfortable and your core values align.
We’ve broken the “key” questions down into a few categories:
- What is the company culture like here?
- Would it be possible to get a tour of the office and meet some agents?
- Can I sit in on an upcoming training session or team meeting?
- Do you have weekly/bi-weekly/monthly team meetings?
- Is there a cost associated with new agent training? Is this mandatory?
- What forms of on-going training and continuing education do you provide?
- Do you provide any formal mentorship program?
- Am I able to shadow a more experienced agent?
- What marketing materials are available? Do you offer business cards or any other company-paid advertising/marketing materials?
- Do I receive leads?
- Can I “brand” myself and my business? If so, how?
- Where does the brokerage currently advertise?
- How many agents work at this brokerage?
- Does this brokerage have part time and full time agents?
- Do you provide an independent contractor agreement?
- What kind of administrative support can I expect from the brokerage?
- At what times do I have access to the office?
- Does this brokerage deal in residential real estate? Commercial? Tenant/Rental?
- Will I be able to do open houses for other agents?
- What are the brokerage’s short term goals? Long term goals?
- Do you have a office/phone time requirement?
- What costs will I incur?
- What are the commission splits?
- What commission split would I start at?
- Do you have desk fees?
- Are there franchise fees?
- Do you offer “caps”?
- Do I have to pay for my yard signs? Lockboxes? Sign Riders? MLS dues?
- Do I earn a bonus or any commission for referring another agent to XYZ Brokerage?
If you’re thinking about starting a career in real estate [especially in Houston, TX] and have questions, shoot me a DM on Instagram, or an e-mail!
Coldwell Banker United, REALTORS® – Metropolitan
Katie Day, REALTOR®
2 Greenway Plaza #150 Houston, TX 77046
Web: http://www.movemetotx.com | http://www.instagram.com/movemetotx