As Hurricane Harvey approaches Texas, here are a few steps you can take to help prepare for the storm:
FOR YOU & YOUR FAMILY
- Stock basic supplies: food and water, flashlight, batteries, chargers, first aid supplies, and cash. If you have pets, remember pet food!
- Communicate your plan with friends & family (especially those outside of the area).
- Review evacuation routes from your home/area.
- Make sure you have medications stocked and any medical items.
- Locate copies of personal information and documents (ie: medications, passports, insurance policies, etc).
- Charge any rechargeable items.
FOR YOUR HOME
- Ensure windows in home and vehicles are closed.
- Secure any loose items on your property (ie: furniture, outdoor plants, outdoor equipment).
- Turn your fridge and freezer to the coolest setting ,and open only when necessary.
- Fill up your bathtub(s) and other large containers with water. You may need this water to flush toilets, wash dishes, etc.
FOR YOUR CAR
- Fill your cars (and gas tanks) in the event of an evacuation.
- Put your vehicle in your garage or in a carport.
- If you live in an apartment, park higher in the garage.
- If you are driving, please do not drive through water.
The American Red Cross provides a comprehensive checklist with important items to do, supplies to gather, and what to do after a hurricane. Please be safe out there!